This 3-Day Advanced Transformer Maintenance training course covers the theory, operation, maintenance and testing of power transformers and auxiliary equipment. Topics included are: transformer fundamentals, transformer ratings, transformer cooling, nitrogen gas systems and insulation systems.
The course concludes with in-depth discussions on transformer testing techniques. This course is applicable to technicians and
engineers who need a sound understanding of power transformer operation and maintenance.
Students will learn safe and proper maintenance and testing procedures on pad-mounted, power transformers. The course covers transformers used in commercial and industrial power distribution systems, including oil and dry-type units. Larger power
transformers used in utility applications are also covered.
Load and no-load tap changer maintenance, ac and dc testing, routine inspections and oil sampling and testing are covered
in detail. Students will learn how to perform routine oil tests, and understand how to perform the major tests that are required. A
variety of electrical test equipment from various manufacturer’s will be discussed.
DAY 1: Transformer Principles
• Right Hand Rule
• Magnetic Flux
• Magnetic Induction
• Turns Ratio
• Transformer Losses
• Transformer Types
• Vector Diagrams
• Transformer Classifications
• Service Classification
• Instrument Transformers
DAY 2: Transformer Construction
• Magnetizing Circuits
• Transformer Losses
• Temperature Limits
• Transformer Loading
• Tap Changers
• Transformer Connections
• Single Phase Circuits
• Two-Phase Circuits
• Three-Phase Circuits
DAY 3: Transformer Maintenance
• Insulation Testing
• High Potential Testing
• Turns Ratio Testing
• Polarity Testing
• Power Factor
• DC Winding Resistance
• Insulating Fluid Dielectric
• Dissolved Gas Analysis
• Transformers and Relaying
• Transformer Faults
• Explain the basic operation of a transformer
• Understand turns ratios and calculate terminal voltage and current.
• Understand terminal markings and various single phase and three phase wiring schemes.
• Understand the electrical testing performed on transformers
• Understand the various tests performed on insulating oil
WHO SHOULD ATTEND:
• Field and shop technicians, Field engineers, Maintenance Supervisors
• Others responsible for the testing and maintenance of power transformers
rated 750kVA to 500MVA and 4.16kV to 500kV